Translate

Monday, December 6, 2021

 Skip ahead to 2021. I was able to publish The Myths of the People of the Palm this year. The idea for the book emerged when I was visiting the Achuar in 2014 to give them my newly published book, The Achuar of the Pastaza river. While staying at the Kapawi Ecolodge, I joined some of the tourist treks to outlaying villages. On one trek, our naturalist guide, Napoleon Tiyua Uyunkar, and I discussed collaborating  on a second book. We agreed to work together, using the internet, to complete the book. This was a wonderful idea, but the reality hit us as we were unable to make progress. Napoleon's limited access to the internet and family obligations caused our work to come to a standstill. The solution was for him to come to me or visa versa. We tried for a visa to the US without success. Instead, in 2017, I traveled over 3,786 miles to reach his village . We worked with Achuar Elders to document eight myths in three languages, with  illustrations created by students. When it was time for me to leave, we had a draft. Again we thought we could finish it using the internet. Time passed and we did our best. This year we were able to reach the Achuar dream of a book of myths to share with the world.

The Myths of the People of the Palm Myths of the People of the Palm  

The Achuar of the Pastaza River  The Achuar of the Pastaza River

 Both books are available on Amazon.com 

Reading the Achuar of the Pastaza River will enhance the understanding of the Achuar myths.





No comments:

Post a Comment